It is now entering its second year as National Drive Electric Week, and organizers say this year's will be bigger than ever.
More than 170 events in 165 cities are already planned for National Drive Electric Week 2015, which will be held
in September 12 to 20. They'll take place in 39 U.S. states, along with Canada and Hong Kong.
National Plug In Day was started in 2011. The idea was to hold simultaneous events across the U.S. on the same day, by reaching out to share the many advantages of driving electric with the public.
Usually each event is led by local EV drivers and EV advocates. The event can includes EV parades, test rides, press conferences, informational booths, talks and more.
What would it take to organize an event like this in multiple cities at a same time?
- We would need a small but dedicated team, who are passionate about EV's in each city
- Each team could plan out event details, activities, locations specific to a city (its always good to choose a location, where lots of people will likely already be congregating)
- Discuss sponsorship opportunities. Invite corporates and even local municipalities.
- Each team could also collaborate with dealers who sell EV's. They could set up stalls for test drives, bookings and basic knowledge sharing.
- Once each city team has made plans for the event, got a location, secured sponsorship, Its time for a inter city team meet to decide on a date. It could be a 1 day event happening in parallel or events happening in multiple cities on weekends for upto a month.
- Raise awareness of the event, by advertising in local radio, newspaper. Tap into local colleges and corporates for enhanced awareness of the event.
- Include the press for more coverage
Organizing something like this would involve coordinated work among teams and can take months of preparation.
But then at the end of the event, even if 10% of the visitors can appreciate what an EV stands for, then you have done your job.
Please write your thoughts below and if you are serious about wanting to plan for such an event
in your city, do contact me @ firstname.lastname@example.org or via the contact form