But, hey they don't know what they are missing!
For others, i will summarise my experiences below.
- I have visited the service station around 5 times and spent a total sum of Rs 0 on maintenance for the first 3 years.
- The only spare parts i purchased after 4 years, was a portable charger costing me Rs 5,200.
- The Annual service is just tightening stuff and running through a checklist. Thus the service hardly costs money to the EV owner. And unlike servicing of petrol or diesel cars, you don’t get a hefty bill every 6 months.
- The electric motor is super efficient in cities - start and stop traffic as well as on highways. You are left wondering as you drive for around 10-15 km and then see the energy consumed is just worth 8-9 km. The sheer frugality of energy consumption just blows your mind. No oil based vehicle can show such efficiencies. An electric vehicle takes less and gives more. Now that is the future, available right now!
- 10 units of electricity to go 120 km. This is my 'fuel' cost. If you own an electric scooter - 1 unit of electricity gets you to go 70 km! Incredible efficiency of the electric motor is for all to see. An electric takes so less and gives so much more. This is truly next generation! Forget visits to smelly petrol pumps. Charge the car overnight and rock your city!
- For 50,000 km of EV driving, i will spend close to Rs 30,000 on electricity. If i would have purchased a petrol or diesel car, i would have to spend more than Rs 3,00,000 just on fuel.
- Most electric vehicles are super tech savvy with mobile apps and connectivity of cloud for remote diagnosing, monitoring efficiency graphs and remote observation a given. Making using electrics so much more of an intimate personal experience.
- Although i have been disappointed with Mahindra for seriously lacking in this area.
- I'm looking forward to Uniti, Ather and Tesla. These companies will launch seriously intelligent EV's in India.
- Magic of Regenerative Braking. Most electrics have this magic feature when braking or taking your foot off the accelerator sends electrons streaming back into the battery pack. Simple physics of converting kinetic energy to electric energy. The magic of seeing the State of Charge going upwards while going down a hill or seeing that you have covered 140 km in a car that is stated to go 100 km - is truly satisfying! Below is our video that illustrates regen in an electric!
- Who says e-vehicles are meant only for cities. We started a movement called installation of community charge points. Back in 2015, the government did not create charge points, the EV Industry did not care! The EV community with PluginIndia.com pioneered the concept of community charging! 100+ community charge points all over India.
We also have a mobile app! I have taken my EV outside my city upto a radius of 300+ kms. More information on the app here
Community Charging Stations
- An electric motor is so much more fun to use compared to using an Internal Combustion Engine. The quick acceleration , the lack of clutch, makes things super zippy and fun to ride.
- You are a part of a community - people who think different. The kind of people i have met has inspired me do so much more. Hats off to all the pioneers, who chose EV’s when the world laughed at them.
I always talk to people and tell them about the social implications like about EV's - there is no war for electricity, there is no pollution, you are not sending money out of your country then they realize that this is a life changing vehicle.
With all the troubles we have in the world - How the banks and large corporations (OIL) are hoarding money.
All of us give them the money.
Electric vehicle owners stop giving them the money. The electric vehicle owner pays a little bit to the utilities and spends the money on things they want to buy and thus vitalising our local economy.
Instead of sending 150 Billion $ on imported oil each year we keep the money here and keep our wealth in India.
Our cities are becoming gas chambers because of the pollution caused by petrol and diesel cars. EVs run on batteries and emit 0 emissions. People who say that EVs are coal-fired vehicles need to do some reading. Analyses by various scientific organisations have shown that electric vehicles, even those powered by electricity generated by coal-powered plants, are much more efficient than oil-based vehicles and, as a result, release fewer CO2 emissions. Do read our article, where we do real calculations and show with numbers how EV's are environmentally friendly compared to ICE vehicles.
So an electric vehicle is so much more than a vehicle. Its a change for the better.
Go ahead and get one. It can be an electric cycle, or an electric scooter or a car.
Own an electric and show the world that visiting petrol pumps is a disgusting habit that the corporates want you to do.
Liberate yourself with an EV!