We saw electric Rickshaws everywhere, including from organized players like Smart-E. We travelled across NCR in an electric taxi by a startup called Blu Smart. We then were invited by the Hyundai team for the launch of first All-Electric SUV in India - The Hyundai Kona.
We then also visited a user who has installed a 5 kW solar power system at his home and charges his electric car using Solar!
Blu Smart is a startup based out of Gurgoan and they have launched ride hailing services using only a fleet of Mahindra eVerito sedans.
We contacted the founders Mr Anmol Jaggi and Mr Punit Goyal and asked them if they can provide us their cabs for 2 days and they agreed!
The Blu Smart team launched India’s 1st all electric fleet of cabs in Delhi NCR in Jan 2019. As of July 2019, they have a fleet of 70 electric cars and a network of 15 charging stations across NCR. By the end of 2019, they plan to expand upto 800 electric cars and 100 charging stations in NCR and Mumbai locations.
Here are some observations from our team of the Blu Smart service
- In their fleet, they have the new generation Mahindra eVerito Electric Sedan that has Airbags, ABS and a better performing drivetrain.
- The Blu Smart eVerito cab picked us up from the Delhi Airport. The state of charge was 88% in the eVerito. We were 5 of us including the driver with lots of luggage in the boot. We reached Buddh International Circuit - 60 km away, with SOC at 44% with AC in full blast and full load. This proved that the 2019 eVerito is indeed performing brilliantly.
- They had a large facility at Greater Noida with 4 DC fast chargers and many eVeritos parked there.
- Blu Smart has installed 15 DC fast charging stations in strategic locations all around Delhi, NCR. One cool idea by the team was to install these DC fast chargers at basement levels in malls and other commercial places. This enables them to utilize unused spots and also protect the car from the sun and extreme heat while fast charging the batteries.
- The operation team we spoke to, were very happy with the fleet of eVeritos.
- The android app in many parts of Delhi always threw up an error message about no available cabs, whenever we tried it. This shows the 70 odd fleet of cabs are busy.
- We also asked some people in the street about their knowledge on Blu Smart and most did not know, so we asked them to download the app!
- Also the team had polite drivers who drove the cabs responsibly.
So the PluginIndia team were in touch with the Hyundai team for many months and they were happy to give us passes for the Hyundai media event on July 9th at the Buddh International Circuit, Greater Noida
Some observations on the event
- We met some very knowledgeable people at Hyundai who really appreciated the work PluginIndia does and gave so much of their time to us talking to us about the car, giving us a car for a video shoot, drive etc.
- Hyundai has RnD teams in Faridabad and other places where they focus on Electric mobility, Indianising components etc
- The Hyundai team showed us their long term vision for EV's with many electric cars planned by 2025 for Indian market.
- We were given an opportunity to drive the Hyundai Kona in a formula 1 race track!
- The first time - Abhishek, Ashish and myself sat in the Kona, was a fantastic experience. The Regen was unlike anything we have experienced before with the e2o or eVerito.
- The interiors felt like a space ship especially with the therapeutic quietness inside.
- We hardly feel anything inside, even going at 100 kmph or more. The stability and handling of the Kona is fantastic.
- We felt the engineering, the quality of components, the feel of driving was another level compared to EV's we use now.
Watch our preview video of Hyundai Kona Electric SUV
We speak to an owner of a solar power system at Faridabad - Mr Hemant
Who spoke about his 5 kw solar power system at his home and also have fantastic tips on how to get a solar system in Delhi / NCR.
The video interview will come out in PluginIndia YouTube channel. Stay tuned!
Just 2 or 3 years back, we never thought we would see electric taxis or a full fledged electric SUV from Hyundai or DC fast charging infrastructure for electric cars and in 2019 all of this is a reality.
As i said, the PluginIndia team really felt the full blast of the EV transformation and this will only get bigger and bigger in the coming years.
Let the ride begin!