We often get so many queries, from all of you about buying an electric scooter. Especially budget conscious consumers among you. Many of you don't want to spend more than Rs 65,000 for a scooter which is used for simple day to day errands. Many of you want an electric scooter that is affordable and reliable. You have many questions like - which scooter offers the longest range, which scooter offers good quality batteries and so on. In this blog/video we will talk about the budget electric scooters you can buy now in mid 2020.
We won't talk about scooters with Lead Acid based batteries. We believe it's time to move on towards Lithium chemistry. We will also talk about localization as many of you want to get models which are Made In India as much as possible. There is an anti China sentiment in the country. Many of you would like to know - which companies are making more progress with respect to localization.
So we have collected localization data from multiple OEM’s so you can make an informed choice.
Also, we will showcase data sheets of each vehicle and Atulji and myself will give our top 3 personal picks among the list. Also all scooters must cost Rs 65,000 and below.
At the end we will show a few graphs, leaderboards and tables and other cool stuff!
We can’t make choices for you, as everybody’s priorities and needs are different but we can tell you about the options available and give you the right facts.
So, without wasting any more time, let's begin in alphabetical order!
Ampere is an old player. They are making electric scooters for more than 10+ years. They have one Lithium battery model - Ampere Reo.
Reo is a low speed 30 kmph model with range of 60 km. It has a removable Lithium battery. The ex-showroom Price: Rs.52,899 : Accessories, attachments, insurance will be extra.
We don’t know much information on the battery. We mailed the company but no one responded to our questions. The local dealers have no idea.
This for us is a big problem. We expect companies to be communicative and dealers to have information or be able to get information on something as important as batteries. The website says the battery will offer 650 cycles. So we expect it to be NMC chemistry and some 20% degradation after 3 years. Regarding warranty, Ampere offers 2 Years on Battery and 1 Year for motor, controller, charger, DC to DC Converter. Regarding Localization - We again did not get any information on localization from the company even though we mailed them.
Batt:RE is a young company with just little more than 1 year old. They have dealers in 9 states. And manufacturing in Jaipur, Rajasthan. They have completed Seed round of investment and will move on to Series A funding soon. We must admit the company has done a lot of good work in terms of updating their models and offering choices to consumers.
- They have 2 models
- Batt:RE LoEV @ Rs 59900
- Batt:RE gps:ie @ Rs 64990
- Both models have financing
- Financing is available Bajaj finserv, IDFC, Manappuram. EMI starts from Rs 3966.
- Tie up with PayTM, pine labs where the customers can pay through debit or credit cards and convert their payments in EMIs.
- Battery : 3 years
- Charger : 3 years
- Motor : 2 years
- Controller, convertor, : 1 year
- The only difference between the two models is that Batt:RE gps:ie variant offers connectivity! Making this the only model among the list which offers connectivity.
About localization - The Batt:RE team also said that 60% of the vehicle is indigenous. They are now working with multiple suppliers mainly for motor and controllers. Target is to take the indigenous components contribution to more than 80% by year end.
So kudos to the team for rapidly progressing and wanting to Make in India.
Another awesome option offered by Batt:RE is range options 24Ah will get you 60 km, 30Ah = 78 km, 42Ah = 100+ km.
Another unique offering. No scooter manufacturer offers range options.
Another awesome option offered by Batt:RE is drivetrain choice. If you want more acceleration, you can opt for a 60V system instead of 48V system.
We asked the team if you want to change the motor, controller, battery, but Batt:RE team told us that only the battery changes, there is a setting in the controller that changes the drivetrain voltage.
Which is very interesting.
- Batt:RE gps:ie
ie - stands for intelligent and Electric has following connectivity features
- GPS Tracking
- Remote Immobilization
- Driver Behaviour
- Trip Reports
- Geo Fencing - you can ensure the scooter does not go beyond a certain area. Useful for businesses.
- SOC on mobile phone.
- 2nd year onwards annual subscription is Rs 1200
- So the parent company is a large Chinese Electric scooter company called - Dongguan Benling Vehicle Technology Co., Ltd.
- They are global exporters of electric scooters to all parts of the world. So they have a pedigree.
- The Indian company is called Benling India and they have a plant at Manesar, Haryana.
- They have 3 models - Icon, Falcon, Kriti. All with interesting designs and all of these designs come from the parent Chinese company.
- They started Indian operations in December 2019, so around 1 and half years of operations.
- Regarding warranty, battery is 36 months. For vehicle components, its 6 months. Charger : 12 months. Controller and motor 18 months.
Benling team seems to be trying to localize as much as they can. But we can say that the company still relies a lot from their parent Chinese company and hopefully that will change by the year end.
- So the parent company is a large Chinese Electric scooter company called - Wuxi Shengbao Electric Bicycle Manufacture Co., Ltd.
- They are global exporters of OPAI brand of electric scooters to all parts of the world.
- Gemopai is getting technology from OPAI for operations in India.
- The company is called Gemopai and is an Indian brand and they have a manufacturing plant based out of Greater Noida, UP
- 60 dealerships Pan India and Nepal and have presence in 13 states across India.
- They have 1 model that fits under the criteria called Ryder. The onroad price is Rs 60,000 in Delhi. EMI options too are available.
- The warranty on battery is 3 years and 18 months on the motor controller.
- Range is 75 km. But they also have a battery option where you can get range of 100+ km for Rs 8000 extra.
We asked them about localization and the company told us this -
"Barring the Motor, controller and other certain components which are imported, all other components are localised. We have successfully localized 60% of the components."
Good to see Gemopai too trying to localize as much as they can.
But we can say that the company still relies a lot from their parent Chinese company and hopefully that will change by the year end.
- So we come to the giant of Indian electric scooter scene. Hero Electric.
- Among Hero Electric's portfolio we picked the following 2 models
- Hero Electric Flash which has a removable Lithium battery has an on-road price of Rs 53,000
- The next model is the stylish Dash, which seems to have copied the design of a Honda scooter and there is a lawsuit going on. Maybe Hero electric may have to change the design. This too has a removable Lithium battery has an on-road price of Rs 65,000
- Both offer range of 55 km
- 3 years battery warranty is good and 2 years vehicle warranty.
- Both are using 48V 28Ah Gouxuan brand Battery. Now the dealer did not know about this battery. We reached out to Hero Electric and we got no answer on battery brand.
- We assume the battery is imported.
- The dealer told us that Parts like charger, DC-DC converter, chassis, Wire harness are made locally. Rest is imported.
- So looks like Hero Electric despite being a 10+ year old company are still not making fast progress towards localization.
- So we have another large player of Indian electric scooter scene. Okinawa Scooters
- Within a span of 4+ years they have dealers pan India which is a significant achievement for an electric scooter company.
- Among Okinawa's portfolio we picked the following 2 models
- Okinawa Lite which has a removable Lithium battery has an on-road price of Rs 59990. The Lite has a very pretty design.
- The next model is a basic looking R30, which seems to have classic design of Okinawa’s first model. The classic Ridge.
This too has a removable Lithium battery has an on-road price of Rs 56,405
- Both offer a range of 55 km.
- 3 years Battery and Motor electronics 12 months warranty is good.
- Trontek Battery is being used here. This is a made in India is battery company that is supplying to many scooter companies
- Plastics and chargers are made in Mumbai itself.
- The dealer told us that most parts are made in India. But we find it hard to believe! Also we mailed Okinawa some questions and as usual, we get no reply! So we believe the company still has some work to do regarding localization.
- Okinawa scooters had issues with their iPraise scooter. But they quickly sorted them and now customers we know are happy with their models. So at least the company is quickly resolving issues.
- OREVA electric scooter is from Ajanta clock manufacturing company based out Gujarat. They have been selling this eclectic scooter for more than 7+ years, with no major updates.
- OREVA Alish dont sell batteries to dealers. Dealers can procure Lithium batteries and we spoke to our Pune dealer.
- We really don’t like this model. We believe the company should offer some sort of uniformity and offer batteries.
- The dealer said removable battery is possible and OREVA lithium battery will cost Rs 63,000. Range will be 60 km and top speed will go upto 35-40 kmph
- 2 year warranty.
But we like the fact that they have worked towards localization of components.
- The most impressive aspect of the company PureEV is the manic focus on battery engineering at their RnD center at IIT Hyderabad. They are making batteries in their Hyderabad factory and also adding software features to the BMS. Making PureEV a very unique company among electric scooter manufacturers.
- The PureEV ePluto comes with a removable 1.8 kWh NMC battery which gives you a real world range of 80 km. The scooter costs Rs 64,999.
- They also have another quirky looking Electric Moped called eTrance which has a smaller battery with a range of 60 km. This costs Rs 51,999.
- Regarding warranty - They have 3 years for battery and 1 year for vehicle. Extended warranty scheme available by paying INR 1000 extra where all parts and vehicle will have 3 years.
They have dealers in 16 states and they are a 3+ year old company.
Regarding localization, PURE EV told us that except Controller, Motor and plastic parts - all other metal and electrical parts are made in India. Also one must note that even though the controller is manufactured abroad, the algorithms and code and the design is done by the PURE EV RnD team in IIT Hyderabad. Not many companies including large players are investing in RnD as much as PureEV and that is commendable.
As Atulji mentioned, batteries and charger are made by PureEV, which will ensure they have more control to offer service.
Data & Graphs
There are many other small/regional companies that we will mention now are selling budget electric scooters.
- PureEV ePluto - New improved model has nice suspension, comfortable driving position, and better acceleration. Good R&D. Good warranty.
- Batt:RE gps:ie - It has a higher voltage option which promises better acceleration, and range of models to suit different usage scenarios.
Connectivity is a plus, Range options
- OReva ALISH - Mostly because it’s highly localized. It’s also good for Indian road conditions. However it comes with a caveat - The batteries are to be purchased from a different company and one then depends on the dealer for good service.
- BattRe: Looks are good. LFP battery is a big plus - longer life and safer, Front and rear disc brakes. Wide tyres. Reverse gear - iffy. Lightest at 60 kg,
- Okinawa Lite: The most stylish of the three. Market leader - at least in high speed bikes. Indians love market leaders. Regen is there. Front disk brake. USB port for mobile is nice. Projector headlamps.
- Hero Dash: Own a Hero Photon - hence the Hero bias. Company is lame race ka ghoda, so service will not be an issue. Chose it over the Flash - as the tire is wider.
So we are 'unlocking' our lives after lockdowns. Why don't you abandon your petrol habit and switch to an electric scooter?
We have made it easy for you. Just do it!