Adopting Electric mobility within your organisation, would not just benefit your bottom-line but it can truly set you apart in the league.
Below are three simple policies that can help.
1. Set up charge points within your work campus.
Research shows that when employees have EV charging facility at their workplace, chances of them shifting to electric mobility increases multifold. To start with, these can be 16Amp plug points with reserved parking as shown below.
Electricity to these points can also be sourced from Solar panels if your work campus is already designed to do so OR new solar panels can be installed specifically for this purpose. By using Solar energy you bid goodbye to electricity bills forever and negate the carbon footprint of grid electricity altogether.
2. Roll out an exclusive Electric Car policy.
- Interest Free Car Loans: Your organization may be offering ‘Car loans’ to employees at a lower interest rate than banks. You may consider offering interest free loans only for Electric cars
- CTC Cars: Electrics can also be included as a part of CTC (cost to company) car policies.
- SAP Labs, Bangalore pioneered a first of its kind “car policy” in India in 2013-2014. Watch the story below to understand how.
3. Choose Electric Vehicles for fixed routes
- Intra-office commutes: If you head an organization which has multiple offices within the same city/area, consider changing the employee shuttles to 100% electric vehicles. These are more economical to run with zero carbon foot print. There are a range of 100% electric passenger vans and mini buses available from multiple manufacturers in India.For top executives, 100% electric Sedans are also available. Look at http://www.project-lithium.com/#
- Morning - Evening Airport Commutes: A number of your employees may be doing morning evening trips to the airport. Instead of taking an ICE taxi – fares of which is usually reimbursed, have a standby electric car at workplace to be used only for this. Even with a full day parking fees at the airport, the overall expenses would be much lesser than onward and return taxi fare that your organization reimburses.
- City Centre to Airport (40km) at 5am in a Uber = Rs 700
- Airport to City Centre (40km) at 7pm in a Uber = Rs 800
- TOTAL: Rs 1500
- City Centre to Airport at anytime = 40km * Rs 0.70 = Rs 28
- Airport to City Centre at anytime = 40km * Rs 0.70 = Rs 28
- Airport Toll = Rs 120
- Airport parking (Full Day) = Rs 200
- TOTAL: Rs 376
YOUR SAVINGS PER TRIP = Rs 1500 – Rs 376 = Rs. 1124
While this is a basic calculation, details of "cost of operations" can be worked out. Also instead of capitalizing the vehicles, your organization can work with new EV focussed start ups coming up rapidly in the main metros of India that can customize commutes as per your needs.
If you are an employee reading it, demand such policies from your CEO and show the organization how can it make a difference. If any of you are interested, I or anyone from PlugInIndia would love to personally engage in this to work with you.
Come! Join the electric revolution.