PluginIndia collected a service fee from Jaguar Land Rover India to make this guide possible.
This is not an endorsement. We always strive to be objective.
There are lots of benefits of driving an electric car like the Jaguar I-PACE. But one of the big benefits is the opportunity to save money due to lower maintenance costs of electric cars! You may be looking at purchasing the Jaguar I-PACE or you may just want to understand the kind of maintenance that needs to be done on an all electric vehicle, so let’s talk about that!
Understanding Electric Car Maintenance
As the Jaguar I-PACE has an all-electric drivetrain, Electric Drive Unit with Motor there are very few moving parts compared to a petrol or diesel car. An electric vehicle has one moving part, the motor, whereas an internal combustion engine vehicle has hundreds of moving parts. The liquid cooled lithium ion battery pack in the Jaguar I-PACE and the power electronics are also maintenance free.
Fewer moving parts in the electric vehicle ensures that it requires less maintenance and is more reliable. Compared to a petrol or a diesel car, an EV can make your life more convenient due to fewer visits to the service center.
Let’s talk about Periodic Maintenance. One important thing to consider is to always read and understand the ownership manual document of your Jaguar I-PACE. The manual can be found via the iGUIDE mobile app. Despite having fewer moving parts, periodic maintenance checks of some items is important to ensure continued reliability and efficiency of your I-PACE. Let’s talk about them.
- Top up the Brake Fluid regularly
As the Jaguar I-PACE has regenerative braking, the need to use your brakes is almost not needed unless in an emergency. However, it is a good practice to check the brake fluid level regularly.
- AC desiccant bag replacement is to be done in case of damage in the AC system due to debris in condenser if found as a cause of failure.
This bag removes moisture inside the AC unit.
- Replace cabin air filters
The I-PACE uses HEPA filters that should last more than 2 years. Although there can be exceptions based on your usage and quality of air in your city. Replace after 2 years as per maintenance schedule.
- Top up the windshield washer fluid reservoir
- Replace the windshield wiper blades every few years.
The Jaguar I-PACE uses a liquid cooling system to maintain a constant temperature of the battery pack, the drivetrain and the power electronics. The water cooling system is integrated into the aluminum frame of the battery pack. This coolant need not be replaced as per maintenance schedule. We have talked about the maintenance needed for your I-PACE. What about the battery pack? What do we need to service it? How long does it last and what is the replacement cost of the battery pack? These questions enter the minds of new electric car owners.
- If you are storing your car for a few months, then it is recommended to plug in the car to (ensure charge to 35%)
- The I-PACE uses a liquid coolant for the battery that should be checked periodically and ensure it is at MAX level. The I-PACE battery comes with a 8 year or 1,60,000 km warranty. The cost of the replacement battery after 8 years will be very different. We have also observed many electric car owners, who have just replaced a single cell or a module, not the entire pack after 7-8 years. They are still enjoying the benefits of an electric car.