Electric Two Wheeler Sales Increased by 206% in September 2022. Demand for EV's are shooting up!
- The Indian electric two wheeler market noted a significant 206% year-over-year increase in September, mostly due increased public awareness and incredible choice for consumers in all segments.
- For the calendar year (January – September) new Electric two wheelers registrations accounted for about 3.94 % of the total new two wheeler registrations in India. Totally about 99,53,440 two wheelers ware registered out of which 3,91,881 units ware Electric.
- For the month of September, 51,753 new electric scooters and motorcycles were registered in India as per data available from the Vahan portal.
- In September about 10,22,603 new two wheelers ware sold, out of which 51,753 are EV's.
- The EV 2-wheelers accounted for 5.1% of the overall two wheeler sales in September.
- This is an increase from 4.7% in August 2022.
- Market experts say, for any product 5% market share is about the inflection point where the product gains visibility and growth will rise rapidly. It is the point where the growth hits the vertical take-off point in an ‘S’ curve.
- At about 5.1% market share the India EV two wheeler market is at the inflection point. We believe that it will be well past the 10% mark within the next 8-10 months.
- As a matter of fact the supply of Electric two is severely restricted due supply chain issues. The waiting period for some models are in the months. If the OEMs had meet the market demand the EV two wheeler market share would have been well above 6% by now.
- Top electric two wheeler OEM in September, happens to be Ola Electric, who sold 9,634 units. With the launch of the S1 model at a lower price point, we anticipate further growth in the coming months.
- The second best performing OEM in September was Okinawa with 8,259 units followed by Hero Electric who sold 8,017 units.
- TVS Motors registered a decline, by selling only 3,940 units in September compared to 6249 units in August 2022.
- Ather Energy registered a slight increase in September with sale of 6165 units compared to August. We presume that their July sales had dipped due to the rollout of their new Gen-3 450X model. However, they have more than made up for that dip in August and September.
- Hero Electric have registered a drop in sales in September with 8,017 units as compared to August.
- Revolt continues to be India's top selling electric motorcycle, by selling 838 units in September. However this was a decline compared to sales of 1648 units in August.
- Tork Kratos R electric motorcycle sold 48 units in September.
- OLA ELECTRIC - 9,634
- OKINAWA AUTOTECH - 8,279
- HERO ELECTRIC - 8,017
- AMPERE VEHICLES - 6,189
- ATHER ENERGY - 6,165
- TVS MOTOR - 3,940
- BAJAJ AUTO - 2,591
- REVOLT - 838
- OTHERS - 6,100
Top EV two wheeler EV brands market share for September:
- OLA ELECTRIC - 18.6%
- HERO ELECTRIC - 15.4%
- OKINAWA AUTOTECH - 15.9%
- AMPERE VEHICLES - 11.9%
- ATHER ENERGY - 11.9%
- TVS MOTOR - 7.6%
Top 10 Results this calendar year:
- OKINAWA AUTOTECH - 72,057
- HERO ELECTRIC - 71,543
- OLA ELECTRIC - 58,965
- AMPERE VEHICLES - 52,694
- ATHER ENERGY - 28,717
- TVS MOTOR - 23,378
- BAJAJ AUTO LTD - 15,096
- REVOLT INTELLICORP PVT LTD - 13,267
- PUR ENERGY PVT LTD - 12,156
- BENLING INDIA ENERGY AND TECHNOLOGY PVT LTD - 8,971
Wall of Shame
Here are some major OEM's who sell petrol two wheelers in India. We are in 2022, and these OEM's have zero electric two wheelers in their portfolio or they only sell limited models not doing enough to push EV's.
- HERO MOTOCORP LTD
- India's largest 2-wheeler manufacturer will announce their foray into EV's with their VIDA brand, later this year. It remains to be seen how serious they will be. They may launch one or two compliance EV models and ensure their ICE two wheeler business wont get affected for many years. We hope they prove us wrong.
HONDA MOTORCYCLE AND SCOOTER INDIA (P) LTD
- Just like their Japanese car manufacturing counterparts, Honda motorcycles seem to be averse to any change. Honda India have not announced plans for EV's in India.
- SUZUKI MOTORCYCLE INDIA PVT LTD
- Ditto as above.
- PIAGGIO VEHICLES PVT LTD
- Mr Diego Graffi, Chairman CEO and MD Piaggio vehicles, shows the Vespa Elettrica at every auto expo, but does not seem to want to launch an EV for India. What a shame!
More EV Sales Reports