We often get so many queries, from all of you about buying a high speed electric scooter. Especially those who want no compromises. Many of want to get an electric scooter that has operations all over India, companies that invest in RnD, companies that offer performance scooters. You have many questions like - which scooter offers the longest range, which scooter offers good quality batteries and so on. In this blog/video we will talk about the performance electric scooters you can buy now in 2022.
- Welcome to the 2022 version of Buyers Guide for Performance Electric Scooters. We released this guide in 2021 in both English and Hindi. We really spent many weeks gathering data from real owners, manufacturers, dealers and many of you have appreciated the effort. More than 7 lakh people have watched the 2021 buyers guide videos. For a small channel like ours, it is very encouraging and we really thank you all for supporting PluginIndia and the EV movement.
- These buyer guide videos will hopefully answer questions you might have. Some of them are
- Which scooter offers the longest range?
- Which brand has good quality parts?
- Which scooter offers good quality batteries?
- In this guide, we have considered only those OEM’s whose scooters offer a top speed of 55 kmph and above. Also manufacturers have to have operations and sell in at least 10 cities/towns.
- We will also talk about localization as many of you want to get models which are Made In India as much as possible. So we have collected localization data from multiple OEM’s so you can make an informed choice.
- This episode will have a different format compared to previous years. First we will talk about companies and models that are registered for FAME 2 scheme. Then we will talk about models sold by companies that have not registered for FAME 2. Finally we will try to gaze at the crystal ball and talk about the future. What models can we expect and fr which companies?
- For those who don’t know about FAME 2. This is a government scheme to promote EV’s. They offer financial incentives to customers who buy EV’s. They also offer incentives to vehicle manufacturers, charging station providers.
- They also encourage vehicle manufacturers to make EV’s in India.
We feel that this scheme is a very progressive scheme from the government and has really propelled the EV industry in the right direction.
- Finally, we will showcase data sheets of each vehicle and Raphae and myself will give our top 3 personal picks among the list and also our top 3 recommendations for you guys.
At the end we will show a few graphs, leaderboards, and tables and other cool stuff!
A note to people who make baseless allegations against us
- We also want to tell you guys that no company is paying us money to make this video/guide. No company is paying money to ensure they get in our top 3 or recommendation list. Our top 3 picks and recommendations are purely Atulji and Raphae's opinions after testing scooters, speaking to real owners and manufacturers. In our 2021 video comments, some of you made baseless accusations that we are being paid by some companies. That is far from the truth, as that kind of stuff goes against every principle the PluginIndia team stands for. We do work with some companies and they do pay us for content creation in such cases, we clearly mention in the description of the video about sponsorship. Even in that case, we will be objective and if some company tells us to say nice things, we don’t work with them.
- Moreover all members of the PluginIndia team run successful businesses and we cannot be bought by any company. We fiercely protect our independence! We just thought we would mention this to you guys!
So, without wasting any more time, let's begin - The PluginIndia 2022 Power Electric Scooter Buyers Guide!
Ampere is an old player. Making electric scooters for 12+ years. Two high speed models. Ampere Zeal EX & Ampere Magnus EX. Both have top speed 50 kmph. Removable Lithium battery is made by Sieger Robotek Electric PVT LTD - A hyderabad based battery manufacturer. The battery has capacity of 2.3 kWh, which in my opinion is small compared to competitors. We spoke to customers who are getting around 75 km real world range in mixed modes. The Ex Showroom Price: ₹ 71,999. FAME 2 subsidy included within the price. Some states also offer state subsidy, please check with your dealer on what is final price in your state. What we like about this scooter is the very good boot space offered. The battery is smaller thus they are able to offer this boot. If they want to offer more range, then they will need to redesign the scooters.
The battery is made out of NMC chemistry and some 20% degradation in range after 3 years or 36,000 km. So keep note of this. Range may go down to 55-60 km after 3-4 years. Regarding warranty, they offer 3 years for battery+motor+controller+converter+charger. Extended warranty can be purchased to make it a 5 year warranty. Regarding localization, according to our dealer contact the scooter has close to 90% localization with most components made in India. That is impressive.
We talk about the EV community's criticism of Ampere. Despite being a 12 year old company the products don’t excite me. They have not done enough to create compelling electric scooters.
Watch the video for more.
Ather is a 8+ year old startup. They sell electric scooters in 25 cities. and manufacture them in Hosur, TN. They offer two options - Ather 450X and Ather 450 Plus. These are scooters with a huge emphasis on performance. Ather 450X - ₹1,53,136 - Ex Showroom Mumbai. Ather 450 Plus - ₹1,34,136 - Ex Showroom Mumbai. Some states also offer state subsidy, please check with your Ather website on what is final price in your state. Ather charges a yearly fee as a subscription service. You have different packages related to connectivity available from Rs 1500 to Rs 2400 per annum servicing is extra. 3 year warranty scooter and battery. Ather is one among 2 companies in FAME 2 list that is offering electric scooters with mid drive motors with belt based transmission.
Ather is one among 2 companies who offer touchscreen displays with maps integration.
Ather said they use a High Nickel NMC battery where the percentage of Nickel is way higher than Cobalt or Manganese. This improves the energy density of the cells. The battery is made by Ather themselves. The most awesome part is the amount of BMS features provided. Basically they have used software and hardware engineering to protect the battery pack
The Ather 450X and 450 Plus are true connected scooters - with remote monitoring, over the air we software updates etc. No scooter in the list even comes close in terms of connected scooter features! Ather 450X and 450 Plus are the only models in this entire list that offer really OTA Software updates. About localization - 90% components are localized
We talk about Ather, despite being a 9 year old company, as of Feb 2022, they don’t have affordable products. Their products are for the premium segment. That is something they should focus in coming years.
Watch the video for more.
Bajaj is the 2 wheeler giant of India and in 2020 they started selling electric scooters with the launch of the Chetak. In 2022 they are selling the Chetak scooters in 19 cities and are manufactured in Pune, MH. The Chetak scooter has a huge emphasis on build quality. One of the best in this list. Chetak Premium - costs ₹1,49,350 which is Ex Showroom Pune including FAME 2.
Some states also offer state subsidy, please check with your Chetak-KTM dealer what is final price in your state. Data Pack - Annual Fee. Chetak charges a yearly fee for the data pack - Rs 1,888
Warranty - 3 years / 50,000 km warranty scooter and battery .
Chetak has a unique swing arm motor with no belt. This increases efficiency and less maintenance compared to belt based drivetrains.
Chetak offers a basic display which is not a touchscreen but it has important battery status like SOC, Range estimation
The battery pack is made in house and has NMC chemistry. The Chetak has a sophisticated BMS to protect the battery pack with algorithms to calculate SOC, Range estimation and other features.
The Chetak is a connected scooter - real time status on vehicle battery, range, historical information on recent trips, SMS, System alerts, map-based navigation to reach from your current location to vehicle, riding tips and more via the My Chetak App. There are still no OTA updates though. Chetak owners still have to take the scooter to service centers for OTA updates. About localization - 90% components are localized
We talk about Bajaj's expansion plan this year and also how they need to check thier pricing.
Watch the video for more.
So the parent company is a large Chinese electric scooter company called - Dongguan Benling Vehicle Technology Co. Ltd. They are global exporters of electric scooters to all parts of the world. India operations were started in 2018 and The company is called Benling India and they have a plant at Manesar, Haryana. The company people told us they have a presence in 130 cities/towns all over India. Benling India offers one high speed model - Aura. The design is a classic Vespa knockoff that seems to come from the parent Chinese company. Battery is 72V, 40Ah - which should give 90 km real world range, the company claims 100 km in fast mode and 150 km in eco mode.
Battery is made in India by Trontek and they did not tell us any more details about the BMS or chemistry. No localization details were provided. The scooter is not connected. We feel that the product looks good but the company still relies a lot on their parent Chinese company and hopefully that will change soon.
So we come to the oldies of the Indian electric scooter scene although their focus is low speed scooters, they have the so-called high speed models like Optima, NYX that only go 45 kmph. But there is a popular Hero Photon model that can exceed 50 kmph and we have decided to include this one in the buyers guide. Hero Electric has dealers all over India. So availability is not an issue.
The high speed model - Hero Electric Photon has an ex Showroom price of Rs 74,240. Battery is 1.8 kWh (72V 26Ah) and we feel this scooter will deliver a range of 60 km real world with mixed mode driving. Most scooter manufacturers are offering more than 2 kWh. The battery seems very small. 3 years warranty on the battery and vehicle is good!
We spoke to our HE dealer contact eGalaxy Motors in Pune and they said there are 2 battery manufactures LFP cells based. The dealer told us that Parts like Battery Pack, Charger, DC-DC converter, chassis, Wire harness are made locally. Rest is imported. Localization of 70%
The Parent company of the Jitendra brand is Shah Group. They are a large group in multiple business verticals in Real Estate, automotive, retailing, software and manufacturing. They have a large automotive experience with dealerships of Mahindra Trucks, Commercial vehicles and more. They also have Tata Motors Passenger Car dealership. They have a 18,000 sqmt industrial plot in Industrial Area of Nasik to put up integrated manufacturing facilities. Availability is in 70 cities/towns and have operations for 3 and half years.
They have 1 model high speed model called Jitendra JMT100 HS. Battery is a 60V * 33Ah Ah - 2.04 kWh. Company claims an 80 km range. We estimate a range of 75-80 km.
We hope to get this scooter for tests, we have written to the company. Once we get them we can showcase it to you guys.
The batteries used in the JMT100 HS scooter are from Trontek brand. No BMS data were given. We asked them about localization and the company told us this - "More than 80% we are localized. Major and minor components are made locally". Regarding connectivity, they can also provide a GPS tracker as an accessory. This is not a real connected scooter is it? Many scooter companies provide a cheap GPS tracker and call themselves a connected scooter. One curious thing about this scooter is that this scooter looks similar to the Hero Electric NYX model. Maybe both are getting it from the same Chinese manufacturer. The company also said they will be launching new models this year.
So we have another large player of Indian electric scooter scene. Okinawa Scooters. Within a span of 5+ years they have dealers pan India which is a significant achievement for an electric scooter company.
Okinawa's portfolio has the following 3 high speed models
- Okinawa’s flagship model - iPraise+ which has a large removable Lithium battery (72V, 45 Ah - 3.3 kWh), which our dealer contact are getting real world mixed mode range of 130+ km.
- Okinawa’s mid range model - Praise Pro which has a removable Lithium battery (72V, 27 Ah - 2 kWh), which our dealer contact says getting a real world mixed mode range of 75 km.
- Okinawa’s low range high speed model - Ridge+ which has a removable Lithium battery (60V, 29 Ah - 1.74 kWh), which our dealer contact are getting a real world mixed mode range of 70 km.
The battery used is a Trontek Battery, Made in India is a battery company that is supplying to many scooter companies. The dealer told us that most parts are made in India. For example - Plastics and chargers are made in Mumbai itself. Regarding connectivity - there is basic GPS tracking and basic mobile app offered in iPraise+ and Ridge+ but not in Praise Pro. Okinawa scooters had issues with their iPraise+ scooter during launch. But they quickly sorted them and now customers we know are happy with their models. So at least the company is quickly resolving issues.
Ola Electric made a sensational entry in 2021 with the reveal of the OLA S1 and OLA S1 Pro. They sell electric scooters all over India with their unique dealerless model - where they deliver scooters at home and also service at your home. They offer two options - OLA S1 Pro and OLA S1. These are scooters with a huge emphasis on performance. OLA S1 Pro - ₹1,29,999 - Ex Showroom & OLA S1 - ₹99,999 - Ex Showroom. Some states also offer state subsidy, please check with on the OLA Electric website on what is final price in your state.Ola Electric has not revealed any annual subscription price. But we expect them to announce that soon to owners. Warranty is 3 years on the scooter and battery.
OLA Electric is one among 2 companies in this FAME 2 list that is offering electric scooters with mid drive motors with belt based transmission. OLA Electric is one among 2 companies in this FAME 2 list who offer touchscreen displays with maps integration. OLA Electric is one among 2 companies in the entire list, who offer regenerative braking when you let go of the throttle and also when you reverse twist it. One of the best features of the scooter is the incredible boot space, which is made possible by placing the battery pack below the footboard.
The battery pack is placed on the footboard, this gives great CG. We asked the company about the battery and they said - The Battery pack and BMS are made by Ola. And most of the scooter is localized, the only critical component they import are cells from Korea. Recently our government announced the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for manufacturing Lithium-Ion cells in India. Ola Electric is the only 2 wheeler company to invest and commit to battery cell manufacturing. So that is good news and a huge change for the Indian EV ecosystem. The OLA scooters have a sophisticated BMS to protect the battery pack with algorithms to calculate SOC, Range estimation and other features. The OLA S1 and S1 Pro are true connected scooters - with remote monitoring, over the air software updates and more. As of Feb 22, Ather 450X and 450 Plus are the only models in this entire list that offer really OTA Software updates. The OLA scooters will support OTA updates but that will be later in 2022. About localization - 90% components are localized.
We talk about OLA's need to focus on servicing. We also discuss the extremely unresponsive customer support for people who have yet to get deliveries. Once you as a customer get the delivery you have a local point of contact and then it's not a major issue. But OLA really needs to improve their pre delivery customer support.
Watch the video for more.
TVS is the 2 wheeler giant of India and in 2020 they started selling electric scooters with the launch of the TVS iQube. As of February 2022 they are selling the iQube scooters in 33 cities and are manufactured in Pune, MH. TVS iQube - ₹1,07,938 - Ex Showroom Bengaluru including FAME 2. Some states also offer state subsidy, please check with your TVS dealer what is final price in your state
TVS Smart Connect - Annual Fee. TVS charges a yearly fee for the Smart Connect - Rs 900. They offer a 3 year / 50,000 km warranty scooter and battery.
TVS is one among 2 companies in the entire list, who offer regenerative braking when you let go of the throttle. The regenerative braking is very aggressive. TVS offers a basic display which is not a touchscreen but it has important battery status like SOC, Range estimation. They also offer bluetooth based features like navigation, call alerts and more. The battery pack is made in house and has NMC chemistry. The iQube has a sophisticated BMS to protect the battery pack with algorithms to calculate SOC, Range estimation and other features. They also said the BMS is made in house.
The TVS iQube is a connected scooter - remote charge status, Geofencing, Incoming call alerts and statistics and more via the TVS iQube App. There are still no OTA updates though. TVS iQube owners still have to take the scooter to service centers for OTA updates. About localization - We are not sure. But having FAME 2 is positive and that shows a high level of localization.
We talk about the small battery and such a disappointing range. Also a large company like TVS are using hub motors. That is sad.
Watch the video for more.
So we have come to the end of the list of scooters and manufacturers who are FAME 2 certified. These models have high levels of localization and follow Make in India standards and can be trusted. Now we will talk about companies and products who are not FAME 2 certified yet. Now in most of these cases, these companies are finding it a challenge to localize their products or taking time to localize for their own reasons. The products in this list may be good but in the eyes of the EV community they don’t have the same trust as compared to companies that are registered with FAME 2.
- BGauss B8
- EEVE Soul
- Gemopai Astrid Lite
- Joy WOLF+ & Joy NANU
- Komaki Venice
- Okaya Faast
- PURE EV ePluto 7G & eTrance NEO
- ROWWET Eleq, RAME, Vegatron
- SBTek Citron
Watch our video, where we speak about these companies.
Let’s quickly look at what we can expect in 2022. Here is a quick glance on which brands may launch more high speed performance scooters.
Earth Energy Glyde
- We know that their FAME 2 certification process is taking more time than usual. But the company is serious about the FAME 2 subsidy.
Bounce Infinity e1
- They are betting on battery swapping. Who will make the investments in setting up these swap stations?
- Batt:RE 2 high speed models
- Simple Energy
- A big question mark - product is not ready, no update on factory. We have no idea when they will get to production
- LML Scooter
- The classic is returning. Investing about Rs 1,000 crore over the next three to five years. LML has now partnered with Saera Electric Auto, which formerly manufactured Harley-Davidson in India, to produce LML Electric vehicles at their manufacturing plant in Bawal, Haryana.
- Hero MotoCorp with Gogoro
- Hero MotoCorp in partnership with Gogoro. They have the financial might to invest crores in setting up battery swap stations. Gogoto tech is awesome!
Watch our video, where we speak about these companies and the potential launches this year!
We have made some graphs with various data for you guys. Enjoy!
- GoPro HERO9 Black Camera - https://amzn.to/3gtsLCW
- RODE Wireless Go II Audio Recorder - https://amzn.to/3HwF512
- Zoom H1n Handy Wired Audio Recorder - https://amzn.to/3JbWeNR
- Zhiyum 3-Axis Smartphone Gimbal - https://amzn.to/3GwXae0
- DISCLAIMER: These are affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, we will receive a small commission. This helps support the platform and allows us to continue to make videos like this. Thank you for the support!