Electric Vehicle News
Jaguar Land Rover India have launched their luxury electric SUV - the I-PACE in India. Here are details from the launch event.
- The ex-Showroom price of the I-PACE in India is Rs 1.05 Crore (Rs 105 Lakhs)
Specifications and Features
- The I-PACE has a dual motor system.
- The drivetrain contains inhouse developed motors on each axle that delivers an all wheel drive traction
- The iPace has active sound design that has a unique interior sound that corresponds to road speed which gives you same sounds as an ICE engine.
This can be turned off for a quiet EV drive as well.
- Exterior sound is emitted when driving at low speeds
- The I-PACE has a 90 kWh Lithium-ion battery pack that delivers a WLTP-rated range of 470 km.
- The battery is positioned centrally between the two axels, which gives a low center of gravity.
- The drivetrain delivers 294.27 kW of power with a whopping 696 NM of torque
- It accelerates from 0-100kph in 4.8 seconds
- The Battery comes with an 8 years or 160 000km warranty
- Top Speed is 200 kmph
- The boot has 666 liters of space which increases to 1453 liters when rear seats are folded down
- The suspension is an advanced double wishbone and integral link with an option for air suspension as well
- Cabin can be pre cooled before setting foot inside the car. The car's battery can be plugged in when you pre cool the cabin, your range wont be affected.
- The I-PACE has a regenerative braking system with 2 modes - High and Low
- High mode will enable single pedal driving
- Use a home charging cable that can plug into any 15 amp socket
- 7.4 kW AC Home charging equipment can be used, which will be installed at home.
- All Jaguar retailers in India have charging equipment and their facilities may be used to charge the I-PACE
- The 7.4 kW AC Home charging equipment will charge your car in 14 hours from 0 to 100%
- A 25 kW DC Charging station can charge the car's battery in 4 hours
- A 50 kW DC Charging station can charge the car's battery in 2 hours
Benefits for Indian Customers
- 5 year service package
- 5 year road side assistance package
- 7.4 kW AC home charger will be installed at home for free.
- 8 year/1,60,000 km battery warranty
- Jaguar customers will have access to Tata Power fast charging network
The Rs 1CR price would place this car in the same space with the Range Rover Sport or the Jaguar F-TYPE or the Mercedes Benz GLS.
The Indian Jaguar website has an online build feature, where you can customize your I-PACE and make your booking. You can customize and choose your interiors, paint, headlights, wheels, seatings, steering, driver display, infotainment and more. The amount of customization options is truly mind boggling!
The I-Pace is built by contract manufacturer Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria and initially JLR, India may be importing the car as a CKD from their Austrian partner. The import duty on duty on fully built vehicles is more than 100%, so we hope Jaguar are going to take the CKD route.
The battery cells are made by LG Chem’s battery factory in Poland. Now that Tata Motors owns the Jaguar brand, we wonder when the I-PACE will be made in India, Tata Chemicals can supply the cells.
Jaguar sold 18,000 I-Paces in 2019, its first full year on sale and we are not sure if they will be a limit to how many units they sell in India.
All in all another electric car enters the Indian market which is a good thing. Luxury car buyers can now have an EV option.